Job Description: During the eight (8) week training period the salary is $16.40 per hour. Upon successful completion of the training program and a proficiency examination, MCOT's are eligible to become part-time Motor Coach Operators at a rate of $20.87 per hour. Motor Coach Operators serve a one year probationary period.
Participates in a formal classroom and motor coach operation training program. Motor Coach Operator Trainee is expected to successfully complete the training program as prescribed by the Santa Monica Big Blue Department to be eligible to become a Motor Coach Operator.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
- Participates in a formal training program to learn techniques and safety procedures for operating a motor coach.
- Learns and observes traffic laws, vehicle code regulations, and appropriate safety rules and regulations.
- Learns pre-operation vehicle preparation and inspection procedures.
- Learns and practices defensive driving techniques.
- Follows department standards and procedures for maintaining motor coach appearance and cleanliness while in service.
- Operates wheelchair lift and bike rack equipment.
- Provides directions and information to the public concerning routes, schedules, and transfers. Makes stops announcements. Assists passengers, when needed.
- Prepares various reports, including detailed accident reports, daily operation reports, forms for lost articles, and witness/courtesy cards.
- Performs various duties related to fare collection, tariff acceptance, farebox reading and recording, and transfer issuance and receipt.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent. Minimum 21 years of age at time of application.
- One year of recent, paid customer service work experience assisting and providing information to the public.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver license. If hired, and prior to the first day of training, must possess a California Class A or B commercial driver permit with appropriate medical certification, passenger endorsement, and with no restrictions for weight, number of passengers or air brakes.
- Must also be able to obtain a Verification of Transit Training Document at the conclusion of training.
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- Public Employees Retirement System (PERS Pension Plan)
- Dependent Care Assistance Plan and Marine Park Childcare Center
How to Apply: For additional qualifying requirements and information about the position, please visit the City of Santa Monica - Human Resources web site at: www.smgov.net/departments/hr/