Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director, Veterans Service Office will serve as the leading authority for the Veterans Services Office at UHCL and will work with multiple agencies and programs to provide outreach and services to student veterans and their dependents. This leadership position will draw on an extensive knowledge of available resources pertaining to veterans benefits and educational applications in addition to assisting student veterans and dependents in applying for available programs and benefits. The Director will demonstrate a knowledge of current federal and state legislation relating to benefits for military service veterans and their dependents in addition to developing programs and activities with other agencies rendering services to veterans; establish and maintain satisfactory relationships with veterans, veteran groups and government agencies.
- Demonstrate leadership in advising veterans, student veterans and their dependents of their rights under military service benefits acts and other relevant legislation. Processes, coordinates and certifies veteran applications.
- Leads and collaboratively partners with Enrollment Management, Counseling Services including Veterans Services On Campus (VSOC) and other units on campus to ensure the needs of student veterans and their dependents are addressed while promoting a veteran friendly campus in becoming a national leader in veteran’s services.
- Leads and collaboratively partners with external resources and services including county and regional Veteran Services Offices, Wounded Warrior Project and other veteran-related programs. Serves as representative of the University at state, regional and national organizations, boards, councils, and committees.
- Directs measures to improve office efficiency and effectiveness through collaboration with staff in Enrollment Management and other campus offices to ensure student veteran problems are resolved and process changes are implemented that will advance the services of the office.
- Plans, directs and oversees the development and evaluation of veterans programs including tailored recreation, wellness and social programming and ensures compliance with policies and procedures of the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration. Leads the development and implementation of recruitment strategies targeting active and ex-military personnel.
- Develops departmental mission and related goals, programs, services, and budgets. Develops comprehensive marketing programs to promote internal and external visibility of the university as a veteran friendly institution for returning and current veterans and their families.
- Directs, evaluates, and reviews staff, student workers, and interns on a daily basis while promoting and overseeing their professional development and training. Oversees campus Student Veterans Association.
- Prepares reports and presents information to campus administration, external organizations, current donors, prospective donors, local veteran service organizations, and other key external stakeholders as requested. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.2. A minimum of five years of experience working with student veterans in secondary or post-secondary education.
- Must have an understanding of current state and federal veterans benefits.4. Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively with students, faculty and staff, as well as external constituents.5. Must be proactive.6. Must be able to collaborate effectively as part of a team.
7. Must be a self-starter with the ability to handle interruptions, meet deadlines, and maintain confidentiality.
8. Must be able to manage all services and programs for veteran students with minimal direction from assigned supervisor.
Seven years of experience working with student veterans in secondary or post-secondary education. Commissioned Officer, Non-Commissioned officer or retired officer. Honorable or general discharge.
Full-time position with benefits. Criminal and motor background checks are required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a cover letter and resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.
Full-time position with benefits. Salary is $4,053.34 - $5,269.34 per month. Criminal and motor background checks required. To apply, please complete the online application at Job Opportunities and attach a cover letter and resume. UHCL is an AA/EOE.