Headquartered in Georgetown, Texas, Sport Clips Haircuts is a sports-themed hair care franchise for men and boys with more than 1,700 stores across the United States and Canada.
Established in 1993 and franchised in 1995 by Air Force Veteran Gordon Logan, founder and CEO, the company is one of the nation’s leading franchises and in 2018, is celebrating 25 years in business. It is ranked by Entrepreneur Magazine as one of the “Fastest-Growing Franchises” and ranked number 10 in the “Franchise 500.” Sport Clips has also been ranked by FORBES as a “Top Ten Best Franchise” to buy for its investment category.
In the early 1990s, Gordon Logan recognized the huge potential, and relative lack of competition, in the men’s and boys’ haircut market. He wanted to create a place where guys could take care of one of life’s necessities—a haircut—and say, “This is my kind of place; I feel comfortable here” when they walked in the door. Assembling a group of passionate industry professionals, Gordon and his team worked together to develop the unique Sport Clips Haircuts concept we know today. While the Sport Clips logo and store design have changed since the first location opened in Austin, Texas in 1993, Gordon’s goal, and Sport Clips’ mission—to provide a “championship haircut experience in an exciting sports-themed environment”—remains the same.
Prior to founding Sport Clips, Gordon served as an Aircraft Commander in the U.S. Air Force, after which he worked as a financial planning and control consultant with Price Waterhouse & Co. in Houston, Texas. He is a graduate of MIT and The Wharton School of Business, at the University of Pennsylvania. He is also a retired CPA in the State of Texas. Gordon later owned and operated salons throughout Texas, an experience which proved to be invaluable in his journey toward creating one of the most successful haircut franchises in the nation.
Game Plan for Growth
Soon after the first Sport Clips opened Austin, Texas in 1993, Sport Clips expanded into Houston and Dallas, and, based further expansion plans on where Southwest Airlines flew to keep travel expenses at a minimum. It took five years to open the first 50 stores, and by 2007, Sport Clips celebrated the opening of its 400th and 500th store in the same year. In 2012, the franchise expanded into Canada.
Today, Sport Clips is the only national hair care franchise with locations in all 50 states in the U.S., with more than 1,600 open in the U.S. and Canada. When you ask Gordon if he knew Sport Clips would be one of the fastest-growing franchise systems today, he’ll answer you, “Yes, I just didn’t think it would take this long!”
Teamwork with Heart
At the heart of Sport Clips’ culture is its values system, which was inspired by the same core values Coach Lou Holtz used to build championship football teams: “Do your best. Do what’s right. Treat others as you want to be treated.” Gordon and his family put these values to action in 2013 when they pledged to donate $1 million to Georgetown, Texas-area nonprofits, where Sport Clips, Inc. is based, and have been recognized for their philanthropic work with numerous programs including Habitat for Humanity, R.O.C.K, and the Boys and Girls Club, and the Gratitude Initiative.
As a veteran, Gordon has also made it his mission to support the military. He has received the VFW’s famed “Citizenship Award”, and since 2007, Sport Clips stores across the nation have worked together to raise nearly $5 Million for the VFW Foundation through its annual “Help A Hero” fundraiser, which has helped thousands of deployed and hospitalized U.S. service members call home through the VFW’s Operation Uplink™ and is providing scholarships for veterans transitioning to civilian careers. Sport Clips, nationally and at the local level, is also a proud supporter of the American Red Cross Blood Services, Ageless Aviation Dreams Foundation, St. Baldrick’s Foundation, the Aleethia Foundation, Honor Flight Austin, and others.
- Founder and CEO Gordon Logan is a pioneer of the unique sports-themed haircutting franchise, including the development of the Sport Clips All-Star haircutting systems, operating procedures, and marketing programs.
- Sport Clips is the only one listed in Entrepreneur Magazine’s annual “Franchise 500” ranking and has been ranked in the Top 10 for 2017 and 2018.
- Designed to target a previously underserved market in a multi-billion dollar industry, Sport Clips caters to men and boys by providing hassle-free hairstyling in a unique, sports-themed environment.
- Qualified veterans who are interested in owning a Sport Clips are eligible for a 20% discount on the Sport Clips’ franchise fee of $59,500 through participation in the Veterans Transition Franchise Initiative, also known as VetFran.
- The VFW’s “Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship” program has awarded more than $4.1 million in scholarships to almost 1,000 military and student veterans.
- Sport Clips Haircuts, took on a new role this summer in the reality TV series The Look: All Stars, featuring hosts actress Tori Spelling and recognized stylist Kim Vo. The syndicated series aired on the CW and MyTV networks beginning June 24 and focused on head-to-toe makeovers in a team competition setting.